Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CAUTION: Metal boat stuff advice sought

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:18:26 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:16:03 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Greetings All,
I have a 12 foot aluminum boat that is rated for a 10 HP max motor.
I do have a 10 hp outboard but bone on bone joints in both wrists
makes it really painful to put the motor on. For years I have been
thinking about various schemes to put in a liquid cooled 4 stroke
inboard. One idea is to use a conventional air cooled flat head motor
that's been modified with a water jacket.

Hop in your boat and go find this old friend of mine -- he's
practically your neighbor. Note the photo labeled, "1970 - Cohasset
Harbor, Massachusetts Designed and built a boat with lawn mower engine
for power."

I haven't seen Gary in almost 30 years, but unless he's got cranky in
his old age, he'll talk your ear off about this stuff and give you
lots of practical advice.
http://mtpickettwoodworking.com/gary.htm

Greetings Ned,
Gary is not that close to me but I'll contact him and see if he'll see
me. I have to drive 70 miles and then take a ferry to Orcas Island.
But there is a place called Rosario Resort on Orcas that's nreally
nice and I know my wife would love to spend a couple days there. And
winter ferry fares are cheaper and reservations are easier to get. I
suppose I could take my boat there but it would be over 100 miles and
I'd probably be frozen by the time I got there.
Eric