Nova

Default IPE Butcher Block Table

Regarding a butcher's block made from Ipe Dave wrote:

Any other experiences working with this wood appreciated, including answers
to any questions I should have asked but didn't (or didn't know to ask)

I've worked with many different exotic hardwoods and I'm not bothered by many of
those which cause common allergic reactions. Ipe is an exception. If I breath
Ipe sawdust I feel like I've contacted pneumonia. This reaction lasts for about
two weeks. Since I've figured out the cause I now wear a respirator that is
certified VOC compliant when working with Ipe.

Personally, I'd think twice before using IPE for a butcher's block.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA