Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CAUTION: Metal boat stuff advice sought

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:49:06 -0700 (PDT), Monkey Butler
wrote:

On Oct 25, 2:16*pm, wrote:
Greetings All,
I have a 12 foot aluminum boat that is rated for a 10 HP max motor.
I do have a 10 hp outboard but bone on bone joints in both wrists
makes it really painful to put the motor on. *For years I have been
thinking about various schemes to put in a liquid cooled 4 stroke
inboard. One idea is to use a conventional air cooled flat head motor
that's been modified with a water jacket. I told Harold Vordos about
this idea and he had done it and it worked well. I mean the liquid
cooling conversion. He even had done it with a motor that was very
close to a 7 hp motor that I have and was considering. I have also
thought about using a 125 to 250 cc motorcycle motor. But these are
expensive and rev higher. I have several reasons for wanting to do
this project. Mostly I want a quiet power plant and a liquid cooled
engine inside some sort of housing seems like it would fit the bill. I
want 4 stroke mainly because I'm tired of putting oil in the water. I
also want reverse and am not sure what is the best way, at least for
me. The plan is to use a prop shaft that pierces the bottom of the
boat and a rudder. So the motor would be inboard as would the
reversing gear. Money is tight so don't suggest a Crosley engine. If I
could even find one for sale. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Eric

Well if you have the skills to fab a water jacket then the only other
big hurdle would seem to be how to handle reverse. Instead of a gear
box why not a kitchen rudder?

Greetings MB,
Never mind, Google provided the answer. That's a cool idea. I like it.
Thanks,
Eric