Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 24, 4:43*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 24, 7:16 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:

The Wikipedia "entry" that you quote:

"The use of [Teflon] tape in tapered pipe threads performs a
lubricating
function, which more easily allows the threads to be screwed
together, to
the point of deformation, which is what creates the seal."

is wrong..........

Are you INSANE?

The Wikipedia entry is on the INTERNET, for God's sake! You can take
it to the bank! You can let your sister marry it! You can build a
whole religion around it!

Friggin' pagan!

You never addressed my question...

"And what is your point?" * with respect to showing the wikipedia
quote,

Was it to bolster your incorrect understanding of NPT behavior & usage
or to show the source of your misinformation?

Instead you resort to comedy.......

How about ......

"I was wrong. A complete metal to metal seal cannot occur with NPT
threads. *NPT threads need a sealant. They cannot work with lubricant
alone."

It won't kill you. It's so much easier than tap dancing & obfuscation.
Try it.

People come to A.H.R for information.
Spreading your misinformation is a disservice.

I was NOT wrong. The Wikipedia entry speaks for itself. It does not mention
NPT threads, champagne corks, wooden pegs, nails, ordinary screws, or glue.
I took it to be a generalized statement, subject to refinement for specific
cases.

That you are looking for some nit to pick may give you great pleasure. I am
glad I was able to feed your hobby.

"I took it to be a generalized statement, subject to refinement for
specific cases."

Nice tap dance........

but despite your "performance" any tapered pipe thread joint, other
than NPTF (dryseal), needs a sealant.
Which would be teflon tape or dope. Teflon tape is a sealant not
merely a lubricant.

To continue to insist that pipe threads do not need sealant is to
mislead & misinform.