Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 04:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,234
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

  #2   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 05:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,116
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 22, 11:05*pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
* It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. *The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. *Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


@J Burns:

In what application ?

Using teflon tape on threaded pipe fittings to provide an extra level
of
sealant in the threads is the primary application of teflon tape...

In some applications like gas piping, pipe dope is required in place
of using teflon tape...

You wouldn't be using Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease for that
purpose at all...

The Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease you refer to above is used
to keep valve stems lubricated... The only thing you might use
teflon tape on near a valve stem is as a temporary repair to the
packing to stop it from leaking before you either properly rebuild
the valve or replace it...

~~ Evan
  #3   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 06:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,230
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 22, 8:05*pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
* It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. *The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. *Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief & recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob


  #4   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 08:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,234
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On 10/23/11 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief& recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob


Here's grease sold as a sealant:
http://www.superior-industries.com/s...oduct_241.html

Another product is Dow Corning 111 Valve Lube Sealant

Novagard G 624 is another grease sold for sealing and lubricating.

Water was leaking around the valve cartridge in my shower because the
housing was pitted. The valve grease completes the seal between the
o-rings on the cartridge and the housing. It may also prevent further
pitting.

A few years ago, the 9" pipe for the shower head got thin and broke. I
used teflon tape to screw in a new pipe. This helped me screw it in
tight, helped it seal, and could make it easier to unscrew later. In
the case of that shower pipe, what would be wrong with using a suitable
grease, instead? It could be easier and more foolproof than teflon tape.
  #5   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 01:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,577
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

Evan wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:05 pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve
Grease. It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The
tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


@J Burns:

In what application ?

Using teflon tape on threaded pipe fittings to provide an extra level
of
sealant in the threads is the primary application of teflon tape...

In some applications like gas piping, pipe dope is required in place
of using teflon tape...


The avowed purpose of Teflon tape is to make threading the pipe easier by
providing a slippery surface. It is the deformation of the threads that
provides the sealing of the joint.

Teflon tape does provide SOME sealing, but can't be counted on to provide a
complete one. If it did, pipe dope would not be required for certain
application.




  #6   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,405
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 23, 3:25*am, J Burns wrote:
On 10/23/11 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:



On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J *wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease..
* *It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. *The tube
says it resists high temperatures.


I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. *Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


This grease is not an appropriate *substitute for teflon tape.


This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.


Contrary to the belief& *recommendations some:


1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) *the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf


cheers
Bob


Here's grease sold as a sealant:http://www.superior-industries.com/s...oduct_241.html

Another product is Dow Corning 111 Valve Lube Sealant

Novagard G 624 is another grease sold for sealing and lubricating.

Water was leaking around the valve cartridge in my shower because the
housing was pitted. *The valve grease completes the seal between the
o-rings on the cartridge and the housing. *It may also prevent further
pitting.

A few years ago, the 9" pipe for the shower head got thin and broke. *I
used teflon tape to screw in a new pipe. *This helped me screw it in
tight, helped it seal, and could make it easier to unscrew later. *In
the case of that shower pipe, what would be wrong with using a suitable
grease, instead? *It could be easier and more foolproof than teflon tape.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


The standard for water plumbing is to use either teflon
or pipe dope, both of which are cheap and available
anywhere. Don't see why anyone would want to use
anything else.

What does the grease container say? Website?
  #7   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,053
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 23, 5:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Evan wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:05 pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve
Grease. It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The
tube
says it resists high temperatures.


I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


@J Burns:


In what application ?


Using teflon tape on threaded pipe fittings to provide an extra level
of
sealant in the threads is the primary application of teflon tape...


In some applications like gas piping, pipe dope is required in place
of using teflon tape...


The avowed purpose of Teflon tape is to make threading the pipe easier by
providing a slippery surface. It is the deformation of the threads that
provides the sealing of the joint.

Teflon tape does provide SOME sealing, but can't be counted on to provide a
complete one. If it did, pipe dope would not be required for certain
application.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


One major reason for not using teflon tape in certain applications is
the small pieces that get cut loose during the threading operation and
screw up equipment down stream. Thus it is bad to use it in hydraulic
systems.

I used to work in a farm equipmen manufacturing plant. We learned not
ot use it on the hydraulic systems frothat reason. Had seveeral
returns where we had to tear down and overhaul hydralic pumps due to
teflon in the close tolerance places. I suppose the same would be
true for gas lines.

Harry K
  #8   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,109
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On 10/23/2011 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief& recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob


Now I'm not an expert, but that web site shows the teflon tape all wound
in the wrong direction! Or are they using reverse threads? I was
always taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to
tighten the teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it
in bunches.
  #9   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 05:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,109
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On 10/23/2011 12:22 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob


Now I'm not an expert, but that web site shows the teflon tape all wound
in the wrong direction! Or are they using reverse threads? I was always
taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to tighten the
teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it in bunches.

Oops, I must be dyslexic today. I looked at it again and someone must
have inverted the picture from the 1st time I looked Sorry for the rant.
  #10   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 11, 07:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,230
Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 23, 5:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Evan wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:05 pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve
Grease. It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The
tube
says it resists high temperatures.


I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?


@J Burns:


In what application ?


Using teflon tape on threaded pipe fittings to provide an extra level
of
sealant in the threads is the primary application of teflon tape...


In some applications like gas piping, pipe dope is required in place
of using teflon tape...


The avowed purpose of Teflon tape is to make threading the pipe easier by
providing a slippery surface. It is the deformation of the threads that
provides the sealing of the joint.

Teflon tape does provide SOME sealing, but can't be counted on to provide a
complete one. If it did, pipe dope would not be required for certain
application.




Hey Bub-

Why do you insist on spreading this wrong information?

"avowed purpose of Teflon tape is to make threading the pipe easier
by providing a slippery surface. It is the deformation of the threads
that
provides the sealing of the joint."

In several previous A.H.R threads it was clearly established
that........
NPT threads DO NOT SEAL BY THREAD DEFORMATION.

The design & mfr of the threads create a spiral leak path between the
thread crests and valleys.
NPT threads, correctly cut, MUST HAVE A SEALANT TO NOT LEAK.

Only NPTF threads (dry seal) depend on thread deformation to seal.

I am amazed by your inability to absorb new information to replace
wrong information.





Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
teflon tape vs pipe tape ??? scale Home Repair 10 August 31st 13 07:44 PM
Plumber's tape needed? Upscale Woodworking 87 July 14th 09 11:47 PM
Teflon tape Shaila Ramanujam Home Repair 0 May 31st 07 05:00 AM
Teflon Pipe Tape or TFE Paste Thread Compound with Teflon for Galvanized to ABS Threads?? scale Home Repair 3 November 5th 05 09:46 PM
Do I need to use plumber's tape on bath tap threads? Deville UK diy 5 September 9th 05 01:15 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017