Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
wells wells is offline

Default Nutcracker bowls

Kevin Miller wrote:

On 10/24/2011 01:35 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
I didn't get as much done in the shop as I wanted, but I did manage to
get a few things done. You can see them at:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...l=1 6bc02373c

(You don't need to have a facebook account to view them).

They're rowan wood, from the House of Wickersham (google James
Wickersham - he's a historic Alaskan figure).

Not high art but they came out pretty well and they're a good seller...

...Kevin

Do you furnish the implements with them? I like them a lot!

I do include the hardware. I pick it up at the grocery store in the
section where they sell pots, pans, spatulas, that sort of thing. They
only cost about $4 and I'll get around $30-$35 wholesale for the whole
shebang at a local gift shop. They're a good mover this time of year.
People seem to like to have nuts out around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

I've been unable to view your pics, so I hope I'm not reinventing the wheel for you
with this variation (walnuts only)...

It's traditional in some areas of France to open walnuts by hitting at the pointed end
with a hammer, with the other end against a kind of hollow wooden block - the
advantage being that it's easy to keep the kernel whole.The nut's sides just split, and
you finish the job with fingers, or another light blow across the nut.

I made a simple oak platter with a hollow protrusion in the center, similar to a candle
holder but with inner side not as steep so as to avoid wedging the nuts in, added a
simple mallet (roughly 8 inches long with a 2 inch head), stuck some foam to the base,
and that's it. Worked fine, and it's nice to have the whole setup without any metal. No
pics available since it was made as a present and I no longer have it.

P.

-Posted by Ozum (http://ozinsight.com/)
-All-in-one yEnc newsreader, scanner and freeware autoposter.