Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Nutcracker bowls

I didn't get as much done in the shop as I wanted, but I did manage to
get a few things done. You can see them at:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...l=1 6bc02373c
(You don't need to have a facebook account to view them).

They're rowan wood, from the House of Wickersham (google James
Wickersham - he's a historic Alaskan figure).

Not high art but they came out pretty well and they're a good seller...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote:
I didn't get as much done in the shop as I wanted, but I did manage to
get a few things done. You can see them at:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...l=1 6bc02373c
(You don't need to have a facebook account to view them).

They're rowan wood, from the House of Wickersham (google James
Wickersham - he's a historic Alaskan figure).

Not high art but they came out pretty well and they're a good seller...

...Kevin

Do you furnish the implements with them? I like them a lot!

--
Gerald Ross

Hi! I can't remember your name either.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/24/2011 01:35 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
I didn't get as much done in the shop as I wanted, but I did manage to
get a few things done. You can see them at:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...l=1 6bc02373c

(You don't need to have a facebook account to view them).

They're rowan wood, from the House of Wickersham (google James
Wickersham - he's a historic Alaskan figure).

Not high art but they came out pretty well and they're a good seller...

...Kevin

Do you furnish the implements with them? I like them a lot!

I do include the hardware. I pick it up at the grocery store in the
section where they sell pots, pans, spatulas, that sort of thing. They
only cost about $4 and I'll get around $30-$35 wholesale for the whole
shebang at a local gift shop. They're a good mover this time of year.
People seem to like to have nuts out around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:16:28 -0800, Kevin Miller
wrote:

snip
I do include the hardware. I pick it up at the grocery store in the
section where they sell pots, pans, spatulas, that sort of thing. They
only cost about $4 and I'll get around $30-$35 wholesale for the whole
shebang at a local gift shop. They're a good mover this time of year.
People seem to like to have nuts out around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

...Kevin

Wow.. I've been doing shows for years because I can't find wholesalers
and won't do consignments.. What luxury for you, Kevin!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote:
I didn't get as much done in the shop as I wanted, but I did manage to
get a few things done. You can see them at:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...l=1 6bc02373c

(You don't need to have a facebook account to view them).

They're rowan wood, from the House of Wickersham (google James
Wickersham - he's a historic Alaskan figure).

Not high art but they came out pretty well and they're a good seller...

...Kevin

Do you furnish the implements with them? I like them a lot!

I do include the hardware. I pick it up at the grocery store in the
section where they sell pots, pans, spatulas, that sort of thing. They
only cost about $4 and I'll get around $30-$35 wholesale for the whole
shebang at a local gift shop. They're a good mover this time of year.
People seem to like to have nuts out around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

I've been unable to view your pics, so I hope I'm not reinventing the wheel for you
with this variation (walnuts only)...

It's traditional in some areas of France to open walnuts by hitting at the pointed end
with a hammer, with the other end against a kind of hollow wooden block - the
advantage being that it's easy to keep the kernel whole.The nut's sides just split, and
you finish the job with fingers, or another light blow across the nut.

I made a simple oak platter with a hollow protrusion in the center, similar to a candle
holder but with inner side not as steep so as to avoid wedging the nuts in, added a
simple mallet (roughly 8 inches long with a 2 inch head), stuck some foam to the base,
and that's it. Worked fine, and it's nice to have the whole setup without any metal. No
pics available since it was made as a present and I no longer have it.

P.

-Posted by Ozum (http://ozinsight.com/)
-All-in-one yEnc newsreader, scanner and freeware autoposter.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/24/2011 10:25 PM, Mac Davis wrote:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:16:28 -0800, Kevin
wrote:

snip
I do include the hardware. I pick it up at the grocery store in the
section where they sell pots, pans, spatulas, that sort of thing. They
only cost about $4 and I'll get around $30-$35 wholesale for the whole
shebang at a local gift shop. They're a good mover this time of year.
People seem to like to have nuts out around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

...Kevin

Wow.. I've been doing shows for years because I can't find wholesalers
and won't do consignments.. What luxury for you, Kevin!

Well, when you have cruise ships coming all summer long - sometimes up
to 5 a day w/a couple thousand potential customers hitting the shore at
the same time - it's pretty easy to work something out w/a local shop.
The tourists love getting locally made things. The shop owner chides me
because I don't bring her enough in the summer, but hey, it's fishing
season. Gotta feed the family one way or another!

Of course, this time of year all the tourists are done in your neck of
the woods or the Caribbean. In another few weeks though it'll be
Christmas shopping season...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
"In the history of the world, no one has ever washed a rented car."
- Lawrence Summers
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ications,
Kevin Miller wrote:

Well, when you have cruise ships coming all summer long - sometimes up
to 5 a day w/a couple thousand potential customers hitting the shore at
the same time - it's pretty easy to work something out w/a local shop.
The tourists love getting locally made things. The shop owner chides me
because I don't bring her enough in the summer, but hey, it's fishing
season. Gotta feed the family one way or another!

Do you know the difference between a Profession Wood Turner and a
Large Pizza

Wait for it

A Large Pizza can feed a family of four

(stolen from Dave Schweitzer)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/24/2011 11:31 PM, wells wrote:
I've been unable to view your pics...

Do you get an error?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
"In the history of the world, no one has ever washed a rented car."
- Lawrence Summers
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

People seem to like to have nuts out around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

And some are nutty all year long :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article ications,
Kevin Miller wrote:

Well, when you have cruise ships coming all summer long - sometimes up
to 5 a day w/a couple thousand potential customers hitting the shore at
the same time - it's pretty easy to work something out w/a local shop.
The tourists love getting locally made things. The shop owner chides me
because I don't bring her enough in the summer, but hey, it's fishing
season. Gotta feed the family one way or another!

Do you know the difference between a Profession Wood Turner and a
Large Pizza

Wait for it

A Large Pizza can feed a family of four

(stolen from Dave Schweitzer)

And how do you get a professional wood turner off of your door step?

Pay for the pizza

This is usually a drummer or banjo player joke , but it is kind of
universal

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote:

On 10/24/2011 11:31 PM, wells wrote:
I've been unable to view your pics...

Do you get an error?

It's a bit complicated: I use Ozum as my newsreader (not very good but free), and I
can't cut and paste directly to my browser. So I tried entering the URL manually and
got an error message (I forget which). I then saved your posting to an ASCII file, cut
and pasted to Explorer (where I have disabled cookies), and again got an error
message. Then my system crashed (I suspect for unrelated reasons, there was some
pop-up activity going on).

I have to confess I gave up at that point ;-)

P.

-Posted by Ozum (http://ozinsight.com/)
-All-in-one yEnc newsreader, scanner and freeware autoposter.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/26/2011 11:13 PM, wells wrote:

Kevin wrote:

On 10/24/2011 11:31 PM, wells wrote:
I've been unable to view your pics...

Do you get an error?

It's a bit complicated: I use Ozum as my newsreader (not very good but free), and I
can't cut and paste directly to my browser. So I tried entering the URL manually and
got an error message (I forget which). I then saved your posting to an ASCII file, cut
and pasted to Explorer (where I have disabled cookies), and again got an error
message. Then my system crashed (I suspect for unrelated reasons, there was some
pop-up activity going on).

I have to confess I gave up at that point ;-)

Ah. You were probably more persistent than I would have been! If it
makes it any easier I just uploaded them to
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, if you're subscribed to that.

I usually post there as well - don't know why I didn't this time. Guess
I was just being lazy. So maybe you can see them w/o much effort.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 11/02/2011 07:08 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Nice looking and the tools fit! - that is what counts.

Where are the nuts ?

In Congress.

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

My first bowls Bojan Kozar Woodturning 12 June 13th 07 08:38 PM
bowls Kevin Cleary Woodturning 17 February 21st 06 09:13 PM
Clara's Nutcracker Bob Johnson Woodworking 1 December 30th 05 05:57 PM
Help on some Plans for a Nutcracker Phil Woodworking 4 November 11th 04 12:40 AM
Toy Soldier Nutcracker plans? Terry Sumner Woodworking 3 December 27th 03 05:01 AM