Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Adding external air tank to existing air compressor to giveequivalent bigger tank

On Oct 23, 11:26*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
!

Where it might make a difference is in air hungry intermittent duty
tools like air wrenches. *The extra reserve of air would allow the tool
to run longer (perhaps enough to finish the job) before the compressor
kicks on.

If you do this, make sure to open the compressor regulator to charge the
tank fully and then put another regulator before the tool connection.
If all you charge the tank with is 30 psi, you won't see much difference
at all. *Charge to 100 or 120 psi and you'll notice the difference.

Exactly my experience. When I spray finish with an hvlp conversion
gun, the pressure moves too far up and down to get a completely
consistent flow to the gun. The extra storage of the tank give me
more compressed air available at once.

I turn up the compressor side to 100 psi, and pressure the tank and
the second tank. On the downside (line to gun connection from the
pony tank) I have a line conditioner/water removal regulator combo
that I set at 50psi. Gun is fine tuned as needed wit another gauge at
the handle to about 30 - 40 depending on the material and conditions.

Having that much volume of 100 psi air metered out at 50 psi (some fan
of Bernoulli can figure out the exact benefit) and ultimately a little
less than that made a world of difference in spraying. I can spray
much longer without line pressure drop, and if i can see it by the
quality of spray deteriorating as it comes out of the gun I simply
bleed off the remaining air needed to kick the machine to on to
recharge the two tanks. Wait a couple of minutes and I am back in
business with a lot of newly compressed, consistently pressured air.

For a couple of cab doors and a drawer or two, the compressor never
starts up, and I am finished.

To the OP, as far as cleaning out pipes is concerned, I think you
would have about the same effect. A lot higher volume of compressed
air initially, but to benefit you would have to let the tank charge up
each time to charge both tanks after you depleted them. I am thinking
that if your system is working now, don't screw with it. And heck, at
$38, you are almost half way to a while new compressor from HF!

Robert