Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Adding external air tank to existing air compressor to give equivalent bigger tank

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
If you are talking about blowing out a sprinkler system I doubt the
capacity you are gaining will help. Long ago I had a 80 gallon tank
with a small pump, I could empty it in about 15 seconds when blowing a
lot of air. My nephew used to be in the sprinkler business and rented
a commercial compressor for blowing out the systems.

Well, I have been doing it successfully for the past 7 years on a 9 zone
sprinkler system (with 1" feed pipe) and about 10 gpm per zone. We live
in the Boston area with deep cold spells and I have not had any
problems.

It takes about 3-4 full tank boluses to blow out each zone (i.e. to the
point where i just get 'steam' rather than water coming out). Just to
be sure, I run it about 6-7 times per zone.

On each tank full, I get about 30-40 seconds of good initial blow before
the pressure drops down too low to lift the heads or move the rotors.

My hope was that with 2.5x the volume of the current configuration, that
I would get a better blowout and/or require fewer repeats per zone. In
particular, I was hoping to get the initial blow to last longer, say
maybe 1 minute or so. Of course, one could say if it ain't broke don't
fix it, but I figure it can't hurt.