Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharpen a knife with a cup

On 9/14/2011 9:20 PM, willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
30-second video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vi2gzCrS-fE

That's good to know. I'll have to remember that if I lose my knife
sharpening steel that came with the kitchen knife set.
At least til then, I won't have to dump the coffee from the cup to
sharpen the blade. :-)

BTW, when I lived in the Bronx, NY in the 1940s, a guy used to come
around regularly on a horse drawn cart with a foot operated grinding
wheel and hawked his knife sharpening business. People would come out of
their apartments with handfuls of knives for sharpening.
There was another guy with a horse drawn cart that came around yelling
out "I Cash Clothes" who would pay cash for used clothing.
I wonder if they ever came around at the same time where you could sell
old clothing to the one guy and take the money and get your knives
sharpened by the other guy.

Could you imagine the police response today if people ran out of their
apartments into the streets carrying a number of knives? ^_^

TDD