Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:15:22 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

Yup... Valve stems on steam valves need lubrication to keep them
moving freely... The steam piping gets and stays quite hot during
the times the system is providing heating energy... You need a grease
or lubricant which won't cook off...

~~ Evan

Might be true for some applications, but I never heard of lubing steam
valves.
I worked as a Navy boilerrman for 3 1/2 years.
Steam systems don't like any type of oil contamination.
All the steam valves I worked with - a lot of them - used graphite
infused packing around the stems.

--Vic