Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 23, 9:22*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 10/23/2011 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J *wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease..
* *It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. *The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. *Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

This grease is not an appropriate *substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief& *recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) *the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Now I'm not an expert, but that web site shows the teflon tape all wound
in the wrong direction! *Or are they using reverse threads? *I was
always taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to
tighten the teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it
in bunches.- Hide quoted text -

That's correct. Example. Hold pipe in left hand with threads sticking
out to the right. Wrap tape around with right hand rotating over top
to the outside (or 'right').

Wrapped the other way will usually wind up with all the tape pushed
right off the threads.

Harry K