Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 23, 9:26*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 10/23/2011 12:22 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Now I'm not an expert, but that web site shows the teflon tape all wound
in the wrong direction! Or are they using reverse threads? I was always
taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to tighten the
teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it in bunches.

Oops, I must be dyslexic today. *I looked at it again and someone must
have inverted the picture from the 1st time I looked *Sorry for the rant.

Art-

Actually, I can see why you thought that.
Two of the pipe wraps are clearly correct but the one with the tape
roll is very misleading
in that the roll of tape and the "loose end" are in visual
conflict.
If the "loose end" in the illustration were removed it would be
visually correct.

Looks like the graphic designer / Adobe Illustrator jockey doesn't do
much thread wrapping.

cheers
Bob