Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Broken office chair

On 10/21/2011 11:14 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Nate wrote in message
On 10/21/2011 11:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"Nate wrote in message
On 10/18/2011 10:29 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
stuff snipped

I generally buy mine at auctions or garage sales. and try to keep 1-2
spares on hand, for when the main one gets wobbly. Stand facing chair
place one hand on each arm rest, and rock side to side. If you can

feel
slop, move on.

We've got a used office furniture warehouse here in DC that's been
crammed
to the gills lately as businesses all over town close up shop. I

picked
up
a high back desk chair with what look like real walnut arms for $10

(it
had
some muck on the seat I had to clean off with solvent) and 3 legal
Fireking
2 drawer file cabinets for $75 each. Getting them up the stairs was
quite a
chore (they only do curbside or loading dock delivery). I used a
handtruck
and an electric winch and a friend and it still was nearly impossible.
They're lined with concrete. I've been able to keep my favorite

office
chair alive through two base transplants. Chairs take an awful lot of
repetitive stress at the post& plate.

This is a good reminder to check all the plates for wear. You can

break
your neck if it fails in precisely the wrong way. Fortunately, the

two
times it's happened to me it was just a nasty surprise.

--
Bobby G.

Care to tell a brother the name of the place? I could really use a new
office chair, but the company that I work for is too damn cheap to buy

good one. It'd be worth it for me to drive the pickemup truck into the
city if I could be assured of finding something decent.

I had to look it up since I know where it is on sight (on the way back

to my
house from the Pentagon, which is how I chanced on it in the first

place!)
but not by address other than New York Ave.

Washington Used Office Furniture
1100 New York Ave NW, Washington, DC 20005
(202) 223-9241

Be advised that like all other "good deal" places the best deals occur

at
random - which is why I would stop off once every week or two to see

what
new loads of stuff they got it. They seriously mark down stuff that's

been
around too long when new loads come in and with lousy economy, that

seems to
be pretty frequently. On the other hand, I've been there when nothing
seemed like an exceptional deal but it's the place to go if you've got

your
own truck. BTW, the three Firekings were in perfect shape, and even came
with a double set of keys for two of the three (the third had only one

key).
I was so astounded by the deal I got worried they contained asbestos,

but
the manufacturer says it's cement and so does my back! They're made of
seriously thick steel, not like the typical sheet metal junk. Good

hunting!

--
Bobby G.

Thanks, I'll have to remember that. If I ever have free time.
Hopefully they are open on Saturdays otherwise I'll never be able to
make it there though unless I conveniently have to visit a job site in
the city... (but that would be wrong)

Just be warned. Like Goodwill, the good stuff goes fast. The friend that
helped me winch the Firekings into my house went down the next day to buy
the remaining units for himself but they were long gone. They are beautiful
pieces with incredibly sturdy but easy gliding slide mechanisms. Only
problem is they weight about 500 pounds each.

Hmm, I might just take a spin down there next week. Now I have a
handicapped van that "kneels" and has a ramp that folds down. Great for
carrying heavy cargo like fire-proof file cabinets. The National Arborteum
is just a short distance away. Make a weekend trip out of it. IIRC, they
are open on Saturdays but I'd call first just to make sure. There's also a
cheap motel nearby that has served as HQ for a number of serious criminal
enterprises, so don't look like a tourist. It IS Washington, DC where only
criminals carry handguns.

--
Bobby G.

Hah. I must have that "look" because it seems that nobody ever messes
with me. I haven't tried anything blatantly suicidal like walking
through Anacostia though.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.