Old October 17th 11, 10:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken office chair

This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. I
"had" a no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday
evening. This be a gas strut supported swivel chair that is
height adjustable. Perhaps 10 years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. The
top bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas
strut portion had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show
they run more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some
options.

Old October 17th 11, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:15:31 -0400, Jim wrote:

This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. I
"had" a no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday
evening. This be a gas strut supported swivel chair that is
height adjustable. Perhaps 10 years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. The
top bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas
strut portion had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show
they run more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some
options.

I've converted a few rolling/tilting/adjustable height office chairs
when either the top or bottom went bad. No gas cylinders though.
Pick up office chairs at thrift shops. Goodwill, Salvation Arrmy,
etc.
Just of matter of salvaging top or bottom and screwing one piece to
the other. Just make sure what you buy can be butchered to fit what
you want to keep.
You might need some patience to wait for the right chair to show up.
My wife shops these stores often and always runs across what I need.
She'll call me and I'll go down there and load it in the car.
Sometimes in 2 pieces.

--Vic
Old October 17th 11, 10:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. I
"had" a no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday
evening. This be a gas strut supported swivel chair that is
height adjustable. Perhaps 10 years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. The
top bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas
strut portion had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show
they run more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some
options.

Take it to a muffler shop and have it welded back together. About ten bucks.

Old October 17th 11, 10:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-17, Jim wrote:

top bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas
strut portion had sheared.

My killer office chair is headed down that road. I gotta disassemble
it this week to discover what is failing. Right now, the loose
side-to-side slack is increasing and I think something is gonna shear.
I figure a stamped pressed metal post/plate something-or-other that's
going. We'll see.

nb
Old October 18th 11, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. I "had" a
no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday evening. This be
a gas strut supported swivel chair that is height adjustable. Perhaps 10
years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. The top
bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas strut portion
had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show they run
more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some
options.

Your fat ass needs to lose about 100 lbs.

Old October 18th 11, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 2:50*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jim wrote:
This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. *I
"had" a no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday
evening. *This be a gas strut supported swivel chair that is
height adjustable. *Perhaps 10 years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. *The
top bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas
strut portion had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
*Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show
they run more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some
options.

Take it to a muffler shop and have it welded back together. About ten bucks.

Weld repair can be an option but caution must be exercised...... if
the weld repair is in such a location as to heat the gas shock, maybe
not such a good idea.

Mass market chairs are designed for the average plus some small margin
with respect to longevity.
My neighbor came over the his gas shock chair plus the new seat bottom
bracket.

Unfortunately it looked like the gas shock & seat bracket were a press
fit (or thermal fit) assembly with no way to disassemble.
The chair mfr had given him a new bracket but it looks he really
needed the shock / bracket assembly.

His a big guy..... like 6' 4" & pushing 300 lbs.
The chair was only ~ a year old.

cheers
Bob

cheers
Bob
Old October 18th 11, 06:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2011 10:54 PM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:50 pm, wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

Ya get what ya pay for- there is a reason the big-boxes sell 'office
chairs' for $79-$200 dollars, and traditional commercial furniture
stores sell them for 3x to 5x that price.

Not saying the commercial-grade ones are not overpriced, mind you, just
that it is hard or impossible to find durable ones at a mass-market store.

I generally buy mine at auctions or garage sales. and try to keep 1-2
spares on hand, for when the main one gets wobbly. Stand facing chair
place one hand on each arm rest, and rock side to side. If you can feel
slop, move on.

--
aem sends...

Old October 18th 11, 02:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I'd make some phone calls, under "welding". See if a welding
shop near you can patch that. Also, auto repair garages and
muffler shops often have experienced welders. I have an
office swivel chair that sheared off, and a fellow from auto
repair shop welded it for me. Cost me $20, worth every penny
of that. For the car mechanic, it was a change in the daily
routine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 18th 11, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mine was twenty. Man, stuff is expnsive in NYS.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...

Old October 18th 11, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ya get what ya pay for- there is a reason the big-boxes sell 'office
chairs' for $79-$200 dollars, and traditional commercial furniture stores
sell them for 3x to 5x that price.

Yes, and no. Good stores sell crap, too. I'm a welder. I've fixed many
metal chairs of this description. Five wheeled star base, various other
gadgets. Most were very poorly welded or VERY! poorly welded. And some of
the chairs were the expensive ones.

Most were abused from leaning back in them. And some of the desk jockeys
would have been too heavy to ride on a camel. Know whut uh mean, Vern?

I resurrected many a chair that would have gone on the junk heap. I had an
old mailbox by the front door, locked, with a slot on top and some business
cards. When people would ask how much, I'd say, just put something in the
box, take a card, and when we have enough, we buy some pizzas for the guys.
And bring us your other repairs, too. No one left less than $5, and the
most was $20. $10 seemed to be average. They also brought in small quick
cash jobs on lawnmowers, benches, etc.

Some of the chairs cannot be fixed, but that's rare. Mostly when the
hydraulic unit goes out, or bracing needs to be added, and the person does
not like the aesthetic of a piece of angle or flat bar that was visible.
Some where the broken metal was near plastic or fiber and it couldn't be
taken off. Some where the welding would have been too close to the
hydraulic oil.

Steve

I guess word got out, cause we fixed a lot of chairs.