Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Store aluminum ladder outdoors?

On Oct 21, 12:12*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:35:01 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 10/20/2011 3:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 20, 3:42 pm, Jules Richardson
*wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:24:20 -0700, Steve B wrote:
*wrote

Just curious...

"my open vehicle sheds" vs. "the back wall"

Does "open" mean 3 sided - i.e. just no door?

Yeah, that's the critter :-) We're on an old farm and have a couple out
back which will take two (large) vehicles each (plus a big enclosed
garage nearer to the house, so the sheds mostly get used for random
storage).

Maybe there's a better term for them (I'm an ex-Brit and we would have
called them 'open' there, even though they have walls on 3 sides, but I
suppose that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense!)

cheers

Jules

In the states we have an extremely technical term for that type of
building:

We call it "a shed without a door". *;-)

I always heard them called tractor sheds.

Much like carports, really, since the walls usually don't go down to
grade level.

*Around here even the "driving shed" or "drive-in shed" has doors.
Otherwize you'd need to dig out the tractor before you could use it to
blow out the lane.- Hide quoted text -

Around here they are positioned with the open side downwind of the
prevailing. They used to be seen at almost every farmstead, now only
at old ones. My woodshed is built on that pattern, open on N side,
"eyebrow" over it. Never have more than a skift of snow on the
exposed face of the wood and I have had to dig a path through 2' of
snow to get to the shed.

Harry K