Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken office chair

On 10/17/2011 4:15 PM, Jim wrote:
This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. I "had" a
no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday evening. This be
a gas strut supported swivel chair that is height adjustable. Perhaps 10
years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. The top
bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas strut
portion had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show they run
more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some options.

I would suggest going to a used office furniture dealer and getting a
name brand used office chair for the price of a new Chicom chair and
it will last for many years. With all the businesses that have closed
down, there should be some very nice slightly used office furniture
at the dealers. You may have to scrape the "Solar Energy Rules" stickers
off the back of the chair but you can't beat the price and quality. ^_^

TDD