Posted to rec.woodworking

Default B.S. by Famiy Handyman magazine.

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
news
I would have to agree. I have stopped all subscriptions. I find that
they just repeat the same old stuff... Rarely anything of value.
I am more interested in furniture catalogs, to get ideas, and stuff.
How to build it, well the magazines rarely get into anything heady...
So it very basic. Finishing... They never really go deep. Tools... they
miss the mark so many times it's amazing. I think the advertising skews
them...

I will admit that sometimes I see a neat tip in the tips section, but
usually it's recycled over and over.

Most mags are just advertising.. rehashing... and sometimes bad
suggestions...

I dropped another magazine (not woodworking related) for the same reason.
Some blame the Internet for killing off print, but what's really killing
them is their coverage is as glossy as their pages. Remember when color
was expensive and photographs were rare? Ideas had to be communicated
with 26 letters, 4 or 5 main punctuation marks and that was it.

If magazines want to survive, they have to be willing to go in depth with
a subject. A reader should have a sense of "I can do that" instead of
"That's how they do it."

Puckdropper