Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default B.S. by Famiy Handyman magazine.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 08:33:10 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:50:39 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/21/2011 9:15 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/19/2011 7:02 PM, Bill wrote:
My recent issue arrived with a separate page explaining that "this is a
special issue and that it will count as two of your subscriber issues,
and the duration of your subscription will be adjusted accordingly."

I got the same subscription. The difference is in how you use it

My MIL apparently thinks, because I have more "tools" than anyone else
she knows, that I'm a "handyman", that that is what I do, and therefore
the subscription to TFHM she blesses me with yearly, for the last ten
years just tickles me to death, which it indeed sometimes does.

Appropriately, the mag goes straight to the ****ter each month, where it
uniquely belongs. Much better than the Sears catalog when you find out
at the last minute that the pups have chewed up the TP, again ... just
wrinkle it real good and you're in business.

That extra twenty pages was a BIG plus in that regard.

WOW! You should submit those comments directly to the magazine. I bet
they would appreciate hearing from a reader that gets so much use out of
their publication...

Now I dare you to do so. ;~)

I don't believe that he utilizes the magazine for that particular use.
Glossy stock is a crappy crapper paper.

My research revealed this: The Oct issue had 57ish pages of ads in a
108 page mag. The controversial Nov issue had 47ish pages of ads in a
128 page mag. So, content pages totaled 47.2% in the Oct issue and
56.5% in the Nov issue. They want double the "price" for a measly
9.3% content increase (which they touted as double)? Feh!

Your calculations are correct, but meaningless since they just compare the
percentage of ad pages in two issues. You want to compare the total number of
content pages, regardless of total pages in an issue. Using your figures and
some cyphering I calculate the Oct issue had 51 pages of content and the Nov
issue had 81.

The content pages in Nov are actually 59% more than Oct, while the total pages
increased 18.5%. The over all content is actually much better, but is still not
the double you are being charged for.

IMO, you've already got the best advice, which is to cancel the subscription and
demand a cash refund and tell them why. I had a subscription to the magazine
sometime back in the 70's. I let it lapse after a year or two. I wish now I'd
spent the money back then on a Fine Woodworking subscription instead.