Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_26_] Andy[_26_] is offline

Default Light bulbs burn out too fast

On Oct 19, 7:35 pm, Mark wrote:
If you are burning bulbs to frequently you also might try using lower
wattage bulbs. A 40 W bulb has a higher resistance than a 100 W bulb.
Both bulbs will have the same voltage, the 100 W bulb must have more
current. And that means the 100 W bulb must have a lower resistance.
So the filament for the higher resistance 40 W filament must be
heavier or have a smaller cross section. There is also a rough service
bulb that is made with a heavier filament.

Bzzzzt.

the 100 Watt bulb will have a lower resistance and therefore a heavier
filament and thicker cross section and be more rugged...

Mark

Andy replies
What you say makes sense to me.... I just cut and pasted
the above from a manufacturer's website....

Of course, you are assuming that the filaments are made of the
same composition, alloy, etc. I don't know if that is true, not being
a light bulb filament designer...

I would think that if the filaments are the same length, and the
bulbs are the same volume, and the vacuum is the same, the one
that gets the hottest (most light) would be the most delicate and
most likely to burn out sooner.
Just a thought experiment, tho...

Thanks for your comments...It's good to get another point
of view...

Andy in Eureka, Texas