Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chimney experts: advice sought please- gas flue for wood burningstove?

Jim K wrote:
On Oct 18, 9:20 pm, Toby wrote:

Toby wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Just to add to that, base cost for 7m of good heavy single wall
stainless flue liner including installation (and removal of old gas
grade liner) was around £700.
Short chimney then. Mine cost 700 without installation..but the BCO
insisted on double wall. Which they probably would in this case also.
I keep seeing crazy prices for liners, there are places selling them
for a lot less, for example this one is £359 for 10 meters for 904 s/s.
http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog...904904-grade-p...
Is this liner any different from one costing around £100 per meter!?
yes.
http://www.fireplaceproducts.co.uk/C...s/Double-Insul...
I am in no way connected with them, I am just in the market for a
liner myself for an Aga Little Wenlock SE!
oil/coal agas don't need anything like what a wood burner needs

Okay, but the site I linked to say the liner is suable...
"for use on stoves burning the following fuels:- gas, oil, coal, coke,
seasoned dry logs, cured dry peat and all smokeless fuels."

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

yup seems a perennial confusion between

lining an existing flue with "twinwall" stainless steel flexible flue
liners similar to what you are describing
e.g. http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/pr...artno=SFL31606
and sister products

AND

the rigid "double skinned" stainless (with insulation between skins)
that you are obliged to use where there is not an existing flue to
line

Or in my case, even when there was.

Flexible flues are NOT reckoned to be adequate for all flues. Only for
old coal flues that are apparently almost ok by themselves . Or something.

the latter costing eyewatering prices, the former can be had for
reasonabler prices *but it's application specific* not an either/or
choice....

who's had the parapet away?
Jim K