Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On 10/17/2011 2:21 PM, Dave M wrote:
You said in an earlier post that the current in the coil needs to be
around 5 amps, and you propose to use 28 AWG wire to wind it.
AWG 28 wire has a rated ampacity for chassis wiring (inside a bundle,
similar to your solenoid coil), is only 1.4 amps. I doubt that your
coil would last very long with that amount of current.
More investigation is necessary. Might be less painful to spring for
the proper solenoid from the manufacturer.

OOps.. I got that wrong.. That figure was the capacity in free air... The
capacity of AWG28 wire in an enclosed space is 0.83 amps.

I'm sure that it is. The original coil at 480 volts draws 5.2 amps
and is wounnd with #30 AWG.

Guess I need to repeat this. It is PULSED not STEADY operation.

Jeff-1.0

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"