Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On 10/17/2011 10:37 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I always find something to complain about. It's part of my standard
usenet protocol. Nothing personal.

Well of course, I've known you long enough now to fully understand
the protocol. ;-)

You cheated by going over the OD by 0.04". Assuming you can pack the
windings in as tight as the original, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm
not all that confident you can do it. Use a mandrel and a slow
turning lathe.

The physical demisions after the epoxy potting are 1.55, instead of
my guess of 1.375), and 1.66 rather than my also guess of of 1.50.

It will probably work. I just hate to say that as I'm sure you'll
blame me when it explodes and sprays coil bobbin parts all over the
shop.

Isn't that also standard Usenet protocol?

Right. Hide the evidence. Be sure to embalm the windings in yellow
Kapton (Polyimide) high temp tape before potting.

I still have several rolls here at the shop from when I'd rewind
surplus wall warts for laughs.

Jeff-1.0
the other other one.

Having a vacuum pot and temperature chamber helps make stuff
"right" when you do it. I kind of prefer a polyurethane for
potting myself.

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"