Luigi Zanasi

Default opinion on craftsman router

On 02 Mar 2004 02:46:39 GMT, (David Hall) scribbled:

Don Dando wrote:

very snipped

You can't go too wrong on Craftsman routers.

I also have a Craftsman router, among others. The last time I attempted to

use
the Craftsman it was in a table operation routing a 1/4" deep 3/8" dado

along an
1/2" thick 18" long board. The bit rode up out of the collet. It's a good
thing I noticed the bulge developing in the top of the push block before the

bit
reached my knuckles.

YOU CAN GO WRONG with a Craftsman router.

I second that notion. Last time I tried using the second of the two
Sears routers I used to own, I was routing a 1/8" shallow dado in a
piece of 2X4 to be used as a deck handrail by a neighbour (neighbor,
Keith). The bit rode and the router started bogging down. I pulled the
2X4 up and saw that the bit was way up. I hit the floor and the switch
simultaneously, afraid the bit would fly off.

The last time I tried using my first Sears router, I cutting the
rabbet in a piece of Doug fir intended as a door jamb. The bit rode up
and started bogging. Luckily, it was where the hinge was to go, so I
managed to put in a not too visible patch. I finished cutting that
rabbet on the table saw.

Luckily, some suck^H^H^H^H really nice, intelligent, articulate and
helpful person took them off my hands and paid for the shipping. And I
didn't have to supply the yellow paint.

Luigi

Didn't someone (I think it was BAD) just write about a similar experience with
a PC router? The problem may be a bit more prevalent with the Craftsman routers
(and maybe not for all I know), but it happens to others brands also.

Yabbut, with other brands, you replace the collet. With Sears, you try
turning it into a boat anchor, because the collet is part of the motor
shaft.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html