Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On 10/16/2011 8:34 PM, Jamie wrote:
I find it hard to believe that coil is using that much? Are
you sure it's in proper working order? We have 500 amp
contactors with 120V coils that only require about 2 amps
to pull in. Something just does not sound right, but what
ever.

Yes I am sure. And yes I know what some contactors take to
actuate the coils in a steady state holding condition.

To repeat. This is a pulsed operation. The auxiliary contacts
on the transfer switch contactor interrupt the source from the
solenoid as it actuates.

The solenoid core pulls up on a link that rotates the armature
of the contactor assembly from normal to emergency position.
Each time it is pulsed, it rotates it one way, then the other
way.

The actual amount of time (I haven't measured it) this takes
is under a second roughly.

Jeff-1.0

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"