Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lightbulbs - the facts?

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 15/10/2011 14:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I made up five adaptors to convert BC to GY6.35 (bi-pin), so I
could retrofit 12V capsule lamps, being careful to make them so
filament position was the same as with the 60W candles.
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/adapter.jpg
I bought 35W 12V halogen capsules to replace the 60W mains lamps.

You would think there would be a commercial market for something like
this that includes a small SMPSU in the base to facilitate use of 12V
lamps in mains fittings. (I have seen commercial ones that take G9 mains
halogen capsules).

Yes, but I think it would be a difficult sell - people just don't
understand lighting.

Someone (Philips, I think) did produce a GLS-like lamp with a LV
halogen capsule and SMPSU in the base. The capsule was not changable,
you chucked it all out when the filament (or SMPSU) broke. They were
only available in rather low power ratings, probably because the
heat from something like a 35W halogen would kill a SMPSU. I don't
recall if they were dimmable either. They were very expensive and I
haven't seen them around for some time now.

--
Andrew Gabriel