Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lightbulbs - the facts?

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:52:22 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Yes, after swapping for LEDs you'll need to change it to a
brightener instead, but that doesn't exist ;-)

LED is getting there. Bought the pack of three LED torches on offer
in Costco this month (£12.58 inc VAT). Flippin eck they is bright.
Quoted battery life (3 x AAA's) is only 4 hours on 50% but they are
the best torch I have had for a long time. Single CREE LED, quoted at
150 lumens. It knocks spots of 3D cell or 6D cell maglights, no dark
spot in the middle, very light and compact, not so good as a weapon
but you could blind 'em instead. B-)

You do have to watch the ratings though. I waiting for a LED GLS
replacement to come along. Saw somthing the other day in Bean 'n
Queued that was a clear GLS envelope with a rid inside covered with
LED elements. Nearly bought one to try until I spotted the light
output was only 100 lumen. They also had some other LED GLS shaped
things but I think the light only came out of the rounded top not,
more or less, in all directions, unsurprisingly these had an output
around 500 lumen presumably on axis of the beam...

--
Cheers
Dave.