Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Putty used to seal electrical service meter boxes, etc.

On 10/14/2011 3:04 PM, HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
On 10/14/2011 9:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
On 10/13/2011 4:42 PM, HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
On 10/13/2011 10:20 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
What is the technical term for the putty that electricians use
to seal around service cables where they enter meter boxes, or
pass through walls?

Great Stuff seems to work.

And who said you never give helpful answers?

Likely you have never even tried it because great stuff isn't UV
resistant so it quickly turns yellow and gets brittle. Other than
that it looks great on those infomercials.

I have tried it. Six years ago to fill the voids around a new
circuit breaker box. It's still there.

In the event it does turn brittle decades from now, who cares?
Bricks are brittle. As long as bricks, or Great Stuff, are not
under shear stress, brittleness is irrelevant.

Absolutely relevant for the application. There is a really valid
reason why certain methods become standard methods.

Oh, I mostly agree with conventional wisdom. So what is the
"standard" method in the instant case?

You mean you don't bother reading replies to questions that have
useful answers? I believe there are at least three posts in this
thread that list the time tested and proven product that is
ubiquitously used by electricians.

Oh I read the replies. It's just that I figured they were, to you, as
cockamamie as mine. That's why I asked for your recommendation.
I take it
from your lack of reply that you don't actually have an idea other than
disparaging those of others.

You mean this reply I made in this thread:

"On the other hand the stuff (duct seal) electricians use is easily
applied with your fingers without any mess and stays pliable for a long
time."

Or where I noted in my reply to you that at least 3 others noted the
same product:

"I believe there are at least three posts in this
thread that list the time tested and proven product that is
ubiquitously used by electricians."

Just wanted to follow up on one of your other great suggestions. We
are having a blast using that idea of yours to build shelf hangers
out of light gauge wire. Unsuspecting people set a heavy object on
the shelf and next thing they are on the floor under a pile of stuff.
It is hilarious...

Only if you take pleasure in the misfortunes of others, which, when I think
on it...