Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Half done hooking up compressor in the factory

On 15 Oct 2011 02:20:23 -0300, Mike Spencer

On 2011-10-15, Mike Spencer wrote:

Ignoramus21718 writes:

My horizontal compressor stands on carpet on 2x4s and it works great.

My Atlas Copco 3-stage V compressor sits on 2x4s and they sit on 4
casters. Connection to the tank is hydraulic hose. It's a heavy
cast iron thing back in a corner. The casters not only eliminate
vibration to the shop, they also make it possible to wheel the
thing out into the shop to change belts or whatever, rather than
standing on my head back in a corner with a drop light.

This is clever. I hope that it does not dance around when in
operation.

Not to speak of. Locking casters seem to work well enough.

BTW, I'd dearly like to have a manual or exploded parts diagram for
the compressor. It's so old that Atlas Copco has no record of ever
having made it.

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/temp/atlas-copco.html

(I think I already got an answer here on r.c.m. to the blow-off problem
mentioned on that page but further opinions welcome.)

Sounds like you would appreciate a 10,000 square foot building and a
big crane on wheels.

New 30x40 shop was perfect 8 years ago. As of this year, I'm almost
wedged so another 1200 sq ft would be nice. 10,000 sq ft would be fun
but a bit in excess of my needs.

Wall off what you don't need today so it doesn't have to be
conditioned.

I would love to have a bridge crane
on wheels with powered drives on everything. But present needs don't
justify the cost so I get by with a 2nd hand engine hoist and a couple
of come-alongs.

Ditto, though my HF hoist was new. Last use: stump puller, in
conjunction with a portable winch in the receiver on the back of my
truck.

(I'm at the age where I no longer pick up 200# anvils off the floor. :-)

Stings, doesn't it? I can no longer toss 200# transmissions over my
shoulder and walk them to the bench.

[1] http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/sh...tml#come-along

Jeeze, I would have told that Monckton mutha where to stuff his
springs, then returned them, unopened, with a reeeeal nasty letter.

Then I'd have found a way to get the Chicago guys to get some to me.
I'd also tell the Chicago people about the totally unreasonable
increase to see if they could put some pressure to fire the Monckton
jerk. My sense of fairness gets shunted into ACTIVELY HOSTILE mode
when I hear things like that.

Or, if the springs just couldn't come from Chicago, I'd have found a
US or NS spring company to build them for me, or I'd have wound them
myself.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt