Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Lightbulbs - the facts?

On Oct 15, 1:01*pm, "Stephen" wrote:
"Jim S" wrote in message

What, exactly, is the situation regarding the phasing out of tungsten
lightbulbs?
All my main room lights are on dimmer switches so do I fill my spare
bedroom with bulbs for the future?
--
Jim S
* * * *Tyneside UK

You've raised a point indirectly for me. I have 8 off 50 watt GU10 tungsten
bulbs on two dimmer switches, so thats a total load max of 200 watts per
dimmer. I recall that when fitting the dimmer switch, it needs a minimum
load to work properly which was 100 watts, SO I am OK if two out of our
bulbs go pop.

Now I have seen in my local Tescos that there are Philips LED GU10 lamps
that are 4 watts each and are compatible with dimmers.

So if I replace the 8 off 50 watt bulbs with these 4 watt dimmable LED
GU10's thats a load of 16 watts per dimmer knob.....

Have I got to change the dimmer switch as well?

Stephen.

Yes. You might get away with leaving the dimmer set to max all the
tiem, or switching it to max very quickly, but if you set it to dim
the CR power supply in the LED bulb will fry fairly quickly.

NT