Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Is there a way to remount a bowl?

jtpryan wrote:
I have a bowl I did that I've never really been happy with on the inside. Of course there is no longer a tenon on it, it has a smooth, somewhat flat bottom. Is there a way to somehow remount this so I can work on the inside again? My fear is that if I glue it to a blank I'll never really get it exactly centered and it will not spin true, making it worse.

Or, I could put a plant in it....

Thanks,
Jim

Depends on what you plan to do to the inside. If just sanding and
re-finishing, it doesn't have to be perfectly centered. Flatten the
bottom on a wide belt sander and glue it as suggested above. A vacuum
chuck works fine for this, also. I have just re-sanded and
re-finished 6 bowls that had a messy finish. My vacuum chuck disks
have concentric circles drawn on them which helps center the bowl, but
it is never perfect so the sanding is done at low speeds. I was a
little leery of it holding a bowl by the base, but so far have never
had one come off the chuck while working on it. Can't say the same
about Cole jaws.

--
Gerald Ross

Hi! I can't remember your name either.