Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Is there a way to remount a bowl?

In article
12233743.279.1318593555744.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbvq4,
jtpryan wrote:

I have a bowl I did that I've never really been happy with on the inside. Of
course there is no longer a tenon on it, it has a smooth, somewhat flat
bottom. Is there a way to somehow remount this so I can work on the inside
again? My fear is that if I glue it to a blank I'll never really get it
exactly centered and it will not spin true, making it worse.

Or, I could put a plant in it....

Thanks,
Jim

If you only want to re-do the inside, it might be possible, but it will
be more work than making a new bowl...

And even then, it may not be (probably isn't) perfectly round, which
means it really cannot be perfectly centered. But....

Depending on shape, etc. - clamp the rim in something like cole jaws or
a langstroth. Which are weak. Remember always that they are weak. Take a
pre-cicularized piece of scrap and glue to the bottom - I like the old
fashioned paper in the joint method (glue paper glue.) Turn the lathe by
hand as you nudge that as close to center as you can get it, and clamp
with the tailstock. Wait 24-48 hours, leave the tailstock in place, and
true the scrap up. Now turn it around and chuck it. That's about as good
as you are going to be able to do, I think.

If the bottom is only somewhat flat, you may need to start by making it
more flat for a good glue surface.