Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is it just me, or are laborers and handymen very unreliable?

On Oct 14, 12:32*am, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

I am serious.

One has to pay to get quality.

You make it sound like paying more assures quality. **It doesn't.*

I am always amused when I see people who consider others do not

deserve to be well paid but expect to be well paid themselves.

If you're aiming that comment at me, I'm highly offended. * * I made it a
policy, all my life, to earn my money. *It is for that reason that I would
have nothing to do with unions, and I never did.

Harold...did you ever turn down a salary raise/higher wage or return

some of your compensation because you were overpaid?

I was employed by industry for a grand total of ten years, right to the day.
I worked as a journeyman machinist up until the day I started my commercial
machine shop (August, 1967). *The best money I was paid was $3.50/hour. * I
considered myself to be being paid a fair wage, for which I gave an honest
day's work. *I also produced work that was NOT rejected by QC. * I earned my
humble pay.

TMT

So you consider that pay should not reflect one's ability?

Quite the contrary-----I feel it SHOULD reflect one's ability---the trouble
is that rarely do you encounter anyone that has *ability*. * What they have
is an *opinion* that they have ability. *The bar has been lowered so
inferior workmanship and being a slacker is fashionable. * *We see it almost
daily. * You appear to be a champion of paying just because a guy shows up.
I'm not. *If they can't walk the walk, they're not worth paying.

I live in a state that is managed by the democrats. *In their wisdom, they
assure that people with no skills can make what they'd like to call decent
money. As a result, morons that can't pour **** out of a boot with the
instructions written on the heel, will, effective January, be making
$9.03/hr. * I think that's a little high for someone with no skills. *Yeah,
I do! * Two bucks for a coke? * That's what you get when people are paid
unearned money. *It has to come from somewhere, doesn't it?

I'm not the person you want to get involved with when it comes to values.
I have a record (one of which I'm very proud) whereby overpay was not
accepted. * It's something you can't begin to understand without knowing me
as a person, and to have been familiar with my shop when I was actively
machining.

I have no tolerance for those that demand high pay, yet can be replaced in
their work by anyone off the street. * That includes those that worked for
Detroit, where the most they had invested in their job was a gray lunchbox.