Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Putty used to seal electrical service meter boxes, etc.

George wrote:
On 10/13/2011 4:42 PM, HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
On 10/13/2011 10:20 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
What is the technical term for the putty that electricians use to
seal around service cables where they enter meter boxes, or pass
through walls?

Great Stuff seems to work.

And who said you never give helpful answers?

Likely you have never even tried it because great stuff isn't UV
resistant so it quickly turns yellow and gets brittle. Other than
that it looks great on those infomercials.

I have tried it. Six years ago to fill the voids around a new circuit
breaker box. It's still there.

In the event it does turn brittle decades from now, who cares?
Bricks are brittle. As long as bricks, or Great Stuff, are not under
shear stress, brittleness is irrelevant.

Absolutely relevant for the application. There is a really valid
reason why certain methods become standard methods.

Oh, I mostly agree with conventional wisdom. So what is the "standard"
method in the instant case?