Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Is it just me, or are laborers and handymen very unreliable?

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
I am serious.

One has to pay to get quality.

You make it sound like paying more assures quality. *It doesn't.*

I am always amused when I see people who consider others do not

deserve to be well paid but expect to be well paid themselves.

If you're aiming that comment at me, I'm highly offended. I made it a
policy, all my life, to earn my money. It is for that reason that I would
have nothing to do with unions, and I never did.

Harold...did you ever turn down a salary raise/higher wage or return

some of your compensation because you were overpaid?

I was employed by industry for a grand total of ten years, right to the day.
I worked as a journeyman machinist up until the day I started my commercial
machine shop (August, 1967). The best money I was paid was $3.50/hour. I
considered myself to be being paid a fair wage, for which I gave an honest
day's work. I also produced work that was NOT rejected by QC. I earned my
humble pay.

TMT

So you consider that pay should not reflect one's ability?

Quite the contrary-----I feel it SHOULD reflect one's ability---the trouble
is that rarely do you encounter anyone that has *ability*. What they have
is an *opinion* that they have ability. The bar has been lowered so
inferior workmanship and being a slacker is fashionable. We see it almost
daily. You appear to be a champion of paying just because a guy shows up.
I'm not. If they can't walk the walk, they're not worth paying.

I live in a state that is managed by the democrats. In their wisdom, they
assure that people with no skills can make what they'd like to call decent
money. As a result, morons that can't pour **** out of a boot with the
instructions written on the heel, will, effective January, be making
$9.03/hr. I think that's a little high for someone with no skills. Yeah,
I do! Two bucks for a coke? That's what you get when people are paid
unearned money. It has to come from somewhere, doesn't it?

I'm not the person you want to get involved with when it comes to values.
I have a record (one of which I'm very proud) whereby overpay was not
accepted. It's something you can't begin to understand without knowing me
as a person, and to have been familiar with my shop when I was actively
machining.

I have no tolerance for those that demand high pay, yet can be replaced in
their work by anyone off the street. That includes those that worked for
Detroit, where the most they had invested in their job was a gray lunchbox.

Our very own Gunner can recount details of what's wrong with your
philosophy---he worked for the automakers in Detroit, where workers were
paid a handsome income---and earned virtually none of it.

Money does not guarantee skill and quality any more than standing in a
garage makes you a car. Lose that notion.

Ever ask a guy if he was good at what he does? Ever have one tell you he
wasn't?

Me, neither, yet I've hired more than my share of *workers* (loosely used
term) that wanted their pay, but couldn't do the work, and to the man, each
thought of himself as being qualified.

Harold