Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21718 Ignoramus21718 is offline

Default Half done hooking up compressor in the factory

On 2011-10-13, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 06:29:17 -0500, Ignoramus21718

On 2011-10-13, DanG wrote:

Hockey pucks, pieces of truck tire tread, or other machine pads would be
the best thing to isolate the compressor to help with vibration and
"walking".

Carpet also works great.

I made my own Isolation Mounts - a square washer under the compressor
foot like they use for bolting houses to the foundation, and a square
of 4 Mason "Super W Pads" (molded rubber pucks about 1-1/2" square,
1/2" thick) on each foot, with a hole punched in the middle of the
square for the anchor bolt.

Earthquake Country around here - a vertical compressor needs to be
bolted down, but not too tight. And as the entire east coast just
found out, EVERYWHERE is Earthquake Country to some degree.

The Mason Super W Pads are available at any air conditioning supply
house. You usually put one under each corner of a condensing unit on
it's pad, but they'll work like that under other free-standing things
like air dryers.

Now if you really want to do it right, you get the Mil-Spec Isolation
Mounts - not that Iggy would have a source for these or anything...

-- Bruce --
-

My horizontal compressor stands on carpet on 2x4s and it works great.

The carpet is very plush.