Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21718 Ignoramus21718 is offline

Default Half done hooking up compressor in the factory

On 2011-10-11, Paul wrote:
On 10/10/2011 7:03 PM, Ignoramus20811 wrote:

That said, I am about half done hooking up the compressor. The
compressor is a 10 HP Quincy model 350 compressor

Where is the compressor located, floor wise? Is it on it's own
concrete pad separate from the rest of the floor. We have a 60
gallon air compressor, 3-phase, 4 cylinder compressor. Don't know
the HP. The cylinders are in a "V" configuration with a primary pair
and a secondary pair operating together. Don't know what you call
that.

However, the compressor is bolted to the floor in one corner of the
shop. When it operates, it vibrates the entire floor. I put 1" thick
rubber between the feet and floor and that helps a lot. Then built a two
sides soundproof wall around two sides. One side is hinged to be able to
service the compressor. Then replaced the solid pipe outlet connection
with a flexible connection bent into an "S" to absorb the vibration
transmitted to the air piping.

I did not bolt the compressor to the floor, but, instead, bolted it to
2x4s, which stand on carpet. Vibration is quite manageable.

You can still feel the vibration when it is running, but is very much
less than it originally had.

The correct installation would probably be on it's own concrete block,
outside the building and the concrete block surrounded with some type of
dampening material.

I don't think carpeting under the legs will do much for you. Especially
when it gets compressed over time.

I will keep an eye on this, I hope that I will be able to change these
things easily with the material handling options that are now
available to me.

Hockey pucks, pieces of truck tire tread, or other machine pads would be
the best thing to isolate the compressor to help with vibration and
"walking".

Carpet also works great.