Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is it just me, or are laborers and handymen very unreliable?

On Oct 12, 7:17*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:31:02 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

wrote:

"Ignoramus20811" wrote in message
I had a few occasions, when I had to hire some laborers or handymen
(read, people who do simple one time jobs).

My experience with them has been abysmal, in the sense that most of
them are very unreliable. They can show up 1.5 hours later, or not at
all. They do not even think that it is a big deal.

Is that my own isolated experience, or has anyone else seen the same?

That problem is rampant in the US, and it's not limited to handymen.

In the process of building our house, I called one guy twice, to ask for a
bid on drywall. * He never returned the calls. * My wife and I hung and
fiinished the drywall ourselves.

I have now waited two weeks for a simple quote on some glass. * Got one from
a different outfit that wanted $2,000 (labor alone) to install two mirrors
and six sliding glass doors in a display cabinet. * *Took that guy over a
month to show up, and I had to make several calls and stop by his store to
get him here.

These are some of the reasons that I do almost everything myself. * *Those
that show up want to make a retirement on each job, or they simply don't
show up at all. *To add insult to injury, their workmanship tends to be
shoddy---as if they have no pride in what they do, with making money their
sole objective.

It is no wonder illegals are here-----they work, they are reliable, and
they'll do jobs that Americans won't. * *We've made it easy for them, and
we'd be screwed without them.

Sad, really.

This country is badly broken.

Other countries, too.

What you describe is almost exactly my experience. I attributed it to
living on the Island but it seems from what you say that the problem
is universal.

I still find it hard to understand. The economy is supposed to be bad.
There is a huge number of jobless people. How do these "handymen" make
a living?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC- Hide quoted text -

Cash under the counter..and not paying taxes.

Ever wonder how Gummer stays in smokes and Dew....and his exwife in
Radio Shack batteries?

TMT