Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default OT Wall street occupation.

On Oct 11, 12:20*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 11, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Is it true? Moments ago, on the Laura Ingraham show (Tues
Oct 11, 2011, about 9:20 AM) she commented that the Wall
Street crowd was creating a sanitation and personal refuse
and body waste problem.

I call bull**** on that, particularly the body waste part. *I still
haven't made my way over to the park on my bike to see what's going on
for myself, but I promise I will and I'll let you know the situation.
I won't be playing any of the Red State v Blue State games. *I'll just
tell you what I see. *Good, bad and indifferent.

Yep, as I expected the Laura Ingraham report is total bull****. The
idea that people that value the environment would let the filth
accumulate pegged the BS meter at 11. These are the people that would
crap in a plastic bag and compost it, so I knew that we were being fed
more disinformation. So I went, and here's what I saw.

Not much. There was no buildup of filth, there was no disruption of
any kind. There was a bigger pile of trash outside a pizza place a
few blocks away, and even that was neatly bagged and placed at the
curb.

You can see that they've set up a recycling station, and the young
woman in the photo was sorting and bundling. There's a large
recycling container in the picture. She said that they've organized a
private pickup of the refuse and recycling.

A lot of the cardboard was used for making signs by some of the
people, and it looked like some of the more entrepreneurial people in
the park appeared to be using the cardboard to make art for sale.

The woman in the photo told me that they were using the bathrooms in
the local places, and there had been talk about getting some
composting toilets, but there was also talk about raising money to pay
some of those same local places for using their restrooms.

You can see in another photo that they have cleaning supplies and a
sign that they were cleaning up Wall Street - the subway station.

There were literally hundreds if not thousands of signs. Some were
silly, "Glen Beck is a **** stain" and others were more on target, as
seen in the photo of the Thomas Jefferson quote sign, and in another
picture, "The first time I served my country I was a paratrooper.
This time I am a revolutionary."

The people were of course well represented by the young, but there
were quite a few middle aged people and some older people, too. Photo
of the guy wearing the Vietnam Vet cap.

About a quarter of the people were spectators, but not idle
spectators. They were talking to the people in the park, and going
around photographing them.

The cops were just standing there. I talked to a couple. One about a
nifty elevated observation post that's on a trailer. A cross between
a scissor lift and a cherry picker, with an enclosed ~6' square room
that could get up about 30'. It had surveillance cameras on all sides
and a weather station on top. I want one.

Your average NY parade is far rowdier than the crowd in that park, and
there was nothing anywhere near the stuff that goes on at a St.
Patrick's Day parade, Halloween parade or anything of that sort. No
rowdiness, no raised voices, no sense of anything out of the
ordinary. It felt like a street fair. There was some drumming going
on, but a cop said that the people in the park stopped drumming at 11
PM.

There was a 'library' set up with a slew of books. I did not get
close enough to see what the books were about. Most of the people
holding signs were on the avenue, and those people were holding signs
that had a wide variety of messages. It wasn't clear if people were
taking turns holding signs, if those people were just trying to get on
camera, or what.

The people in the center of the park had set up camp and had the usual
camping stuff, but I did not see any tents. It just seemed to be
sleeping bags and blue poly tarps. There was a 'kitchen' set up in
the middle of the park, and a bunch of people eating off of paper
plates. There were also a lot of stainless food carts along the
southern street - everything from Smoothies to coffee to felafels and
a bunch more I didn't see up close.

http://img189.imageshack.us/slidesho...mg4378copy.jpg