Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default OT Wall street occupation.

On Oct 11, 4:23*am, RickH wrote:
On Oct 10, 8:21*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Robert Green wrote:

Heh! It took the Roman Empire longer to fall than the United States
has been in existence. We have, by that measure, a couple of hundred
years before the end.

Uh oh! *We're being HeyBubbed again!

I get my information off of the internet!

"This slow decline occurred over a period of approximately 320 years,
culminating on September 4, 476, when Romulus Augustus, the last Emperor of
the Western Roman Empire, was deposed by Odoacer, a Germanic chieftain."

Life and events in ancient Rome could move no faster than the speed
of the fastest horse. *Things move quite a bit more quickly now.
Total, world-ending war could take place in just a few hours nowadays
with nuclear weapons. *Your "measures" and extrapolations are both
bogus. *Life moves much more quickly these days than in ancient Rome.

A knife thrust into the belly of the emperor is considerably faster than the
fastest horse, even faster than the internet.

How long did the English Empire last? *According to your metrics, it
should be still a healthy, powerful world entity.

Huh? I didn't say that or even intimate it.

What we actually have is Harry and Company. *Not very much a threat to the
world.- Hide quoted text -

Actually those Germans knocked down a major aqueduct. *Rome was soon
gone after that. *The achilles heel of Rome was the aqueduct, one of
the very things that made it thrive. *At some point you cant defend
something as big as an aqueduct, a few enterprising demolitionists in
the countryside while your army is spread all over the medeterranean
putting down minor insurrections will do the trick.- Hide quoted text -

Germany was created by Bismarck/Wilhelm I in 1871 so it hardly seems
likely.
But one can hardly expect people who don't know their own history to
know anyone elses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany...ion_and_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Bismarck