Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:05:48 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/8/2011 9:49 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 18:52:29 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/8/2011 2:45 PM, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
On 10/8/2011 3:26 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:02:40 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/8/2011 11:58 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:31 pm, wrote:

I predict that the Supreme Court will rule along the lines of the
testimony of the expert witness was biased and thus not acceptable.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that the Supreme Court will overturn
it. I'm glad the suit happened, though, and got so much attention.
The major tool companies have had plenty of time to start retooling
and upgrading safety since SawStop came on the scene. They've known
which way the wind was blowing and something needed to be shaken
loose.

Totally agree! I am not too happy about SawStop pushing their product
through government intervention however I am equally unhappy about all
the other other manufacturers that have decided that more safety is too
high a price to pay.

Do you know what that "price" was?

Furthermore, all the people I know who have one in their shops have had
triggers. Some of them were on wet wood, stray metal or other nuisance
reasons, some were for no known reason. None were for human/blade
contact. Each trigger costs at least $100, often more depending on the
value of the blade. This is a solution looking for a problem, especially
when you consider that a standard guard, or any after market guard would
solve the problem just as well.

Stuart

And every false trigger that I have heard of was taken care of by SawStop.

Nice! They charge you double the regular rate for a saw of that
particular quality (an extra $1,600 or so) and then give you a couple
$50 freebies to make up for it. Whatta guy!

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often

Have you priced a Powermatic or The new Unisaw "with out" any the blade
brake lately?

I linked to a price sheet in my earlier post, but the aim there was
looking for the lowest price. Dayum, Delter sure is proud of their
saws nowadays!
http://www.toolseeker.com/WdWkMac/TableSaw.htm
Griz and the majority of the rest, even the Lagunas, are under $2k.

Oh, I see that SawStop finally has a sub-$2k saw on the market. I
thought they were all about $3500. I sit corrected.

Are you normally this ignorant or do you simply have a
bug up your butt?

Um, -now- who's got the bug? BUT, Leon, do you feel that the
lawsuit we're discussing here is good and just? Or do you feel as most
of us do that it's a farce and a complete miscarriage of justice?

Safer tools are a good concept and I'll likely buy some when I'm ready
(read "funded"), but not from SawStop. To say that I dislike Gass'
tactics is a major understatement.

P.S: You'd **** if you saw Dina's (my saur) gaper of a top. She's as
safe as a square cutterhead. My crosscut sled saves me from it most
often.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson