Wayne Brissette

Default Cabinet saw shopping (long)

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:07:12 -0600, David Zaret wrote
(in message ):

i'm still waiting for delivery of my 650-T50 (5 hp) with excalibur
table. ... still waiting. ... and waiting. been 5 weeks, was told it
would be 10-14 days. oh well.

I waited 6 weeks after calling my "local" dealer a few times (100 miles
away), and after much prodding he called General to find out where the 650
was I ordered. They were waiting on some parts and couldn't give an estimate
of when it would ship. I was a bit frustrated by the whole lack of
communication between the dealership and General. Add to the fact that it was
100 miles to the closest dealer and I finally opted for my second choice, and
bought the Delta left tilt at Woodcraft minus their 10% off. Went in this
weekend to pick up a Jet air filtration unit that had been on order for 5
weeks, and found out the saw had arrived minus the table. Delta was said it
was in transit and should arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday.

In some ways I'm sorry I didn't wait for the General, but the whole buying
experience was tough. While they make a great product, they really need to
establish better dealer networks in the USA. I understand that in Canada this
isn't a problem (and having lived there for a time myself I know how true
this can be for a Canadian product in Canada), however with NAFTA and a lot
of woodworkers here in the States, it almost seems ludicrous that they don't
try harder to sell their products here in the states.

FYI, I have a zero insert for a General 350/650 that I picked up when I paid
for the General (prior to cancelling it). For those General owners that want
it, it can be yours for the price of shipping. (Drop me an email).

B.A. Dave, thanks for the tips on setting up the Unisaw. The only problem I
have is the base unit is something that I have to send in a coupon for
apparently, so looks like I'm going to have to put the base unit on after the
fact. :-(

Wayne