Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bending copper tubing

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 08:59:17 +0200, "Garrett Fulton"
wrote:

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
om...

I have a similiar dilema. Refrigeration units that store salads and foods
with high acid content, eat up the condensate line (condenser high side line
that dissipates the drain water in a pan). The radius is like you say about
two inches and all the benders I can find are larger radius than that. Oh
and I need 180 degree bends to get as much surface area as possible. If I
lose a complete pass, due to space, it will not get rid of the water and we
now have a water leak to worry about. Harbor Freight has one that
works........but mine leaves a pretty good scar on the tubing on a 180
degree bend, and all the others on the shelf look identical with no
difference in quality. It seems the guide is too loose and crimps the
tubing, For the money it is not bad. I am half tempted to fashion a bender
out of some heavy wood using a 3/8" core box bit and woodworking router
(cutting the flutes as deep as possible). Another posibility is to stack
large flat washers between two flat pieces of steel and bend away. This may
require dissasembly for each bend but get you out of a bind. Good luck and
tell me what you came up with.
Lyndell