Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Bending copper tubing

anorton wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
I have some 3/8" copper tubing that I need to bend at a tight radius.
Like 2". I have the spiral bender, and another hand held type, but
can't find either. Next week, I gotta get organized. In the meantime
what's the best way to bend it? I've heard of putting it full of
sand. If I do that, do I bend it around something round, or just bend
it slowly and cautiously?

Steve

I have tried the sand method and it did not work well for me. The
classic way to make the sharp bends on trumpets and such is to fill the
pipe with melted pitch and let cool. Another method is to fill with a
water-detergent mixture and freeze it. The detergent keeps the ice from
becoming hard enough to burst the pipe. Don't ask me what the right
detergent concentration might be.

probably find it in this

http://www.copper.org/publications/p...e_handbook.pdf
--