Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default circuit board material of the 1960s

Jeffrey Angus wrote in message
On 10/8/2011 9:04 AM, dave wrote:
Bake in 250 degree oven for 2 hours first, allow to cool naturally, then
seal.

How does that fix any carbon pathing that developed?

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

I had also assumed the problem although initially through humidity take-up ,
the rustling (rather than a louder crackling ) problem, I could only see as
microscopic discharges somewhere
in the core of the material. Separating the 2 boards with PRFB and
insulating the fixing screw that passes between the 2 stops it , presumably
because the pd through the short run of board to the ground is now a longer
path - not cured , just delayed.
If you knew where the conductive paths were , it may be possible to
route/grind slots into the board to cure or preclude these problems