Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 00:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
harry wrote:

On Oct 7, 9:01Â*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Andy
Champ writesOn 07/10/2011 18:48, Harry
Bloomfield wrote:
I don't think it is legal now, nor was it then.

AFAIK you can only tow a bike from another bike.

Interestingly the highway code now merely says "In the event of a
breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is
potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery."
Â*And nothing else at all.

Andy

Crossing the road is also potentially dangerous.
--
hugh

A real danger is if a pedestrian steps over the rope as you set off at
a road junction. (not realising towing is in progress).

We once had a cyclist do that, despite a warning rag on the rope. He
was 'head down, I'm going this way' over the slack rope, until he
suddenly got his bike saddle where he wasn't expecting it as the tow
car pulled away.
--
Davey.