Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

On Oct 8, 3:20 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:58:19 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The big snag is most vehicles have both power steering and brakes. One
being towed with the engine stopped will have neither.

Well it will, I don't think a vechicle that had absolutely no
steering or brakes without the engine running would be allowed on the
road. How ever the effort required to turn the steering wheel and get
effective braking is huge. I wouldn't want to be towed in a modern
car via rope unless the route was straight and flat or just a very
short distance.

I used to have a large V8 that ran on CNG and petrol.
The CNG was extremely cheap but would run the car for about 120km.
Then the engine would stop and the steering and brakes needed more
effort to use. But not a problem. I would run out of CNG several times
a week so I got used to it.