Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

On Oct 7, 4:02*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *GB wrote:

The big snag is most vehicles have both power steering and brakes. One
being towed with the engine stopped will have neither. So towing with
a rope should be done with great caution - and only if both drivers
have experience of doing so.

The only time I was towed with a rope was nearly 40 years ago, and it
was bloody frightening. I don't normally drive less than a car's length
behind the vehicle in front.

Which is why both drivers need to be experienced at such things. The
towing driver realising speed must be kept low regardless of holding up
other traffic.

If the tower forgets that, the towee's brakes can end up overheating
so badly they fail. The result is predictable.

NT