Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Shew Pete Shew is offline

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

On 07/10/2011 12:53, NT wrote:
On Oct 7, 12:22 pm, Chris wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 11:27:36 +0100, Jim wrote:
I asked this question in another group and no-one came up with a definitive
current answer. The most recent legal(ish) answer was dated 2008

" I was informed last evening that it is illegal to tow a broken down
vehicle with a rope and it has to be a solid tow-bar. Is this true?"

Seehttp://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069855
and scroll down to section 98 where it says
"In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow
rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional
recovery."
which doesn't specifically forbid it, it just says it is potentially
dangerous. As it's a government web site, I presume towing with a rope
is OK as long as you're careful.

'Its potentially dangerous,' as is all driving. Its just stating the
completely obvious, at least to any person capable of driving. Any
towee will be aware of the risks of travelling very close to the
vehicle in front, with no ability to see ahead if its a van, no
ability to steer one's course or even stop the combined vehicles.

Rope towing has always been an economic choice. Increasing wealth and
awareness of liability and risk issues is seeing it become unpopular.

NT

Load of nancies - try being towed by a car when riding a motorbike. Now
that's scary! Last time I tried that was in about 1964. AFAICR it was legal.

Pete