Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Malcolm is offline

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

On 07/10/2011 16:39, Ret. wrote:
In ,
says...

In whill.co.uk,
Dave wrote:
The big snag is most vehicles have both power steering and brakes. One
being towed with the engine stopped will have neither.

Well it will, I don't think a vechicle that had absolutely no
steering or brakes without the engine running would be allowed on the
road.

Neither *power* steering or brakes. Didn't say no steering or brakes *at
all* Although to some it might appear just like that.

Indeed. Some years ago I bought a nearly-new VX Omega that had a problem
with its 'idle air control valve'. The symptom would be that the engine
would cut out on the over-run - and it would happen without warning and,
because the engine is quiet on the over-run, I wasn't even aware that
the engine had stopped the first time it happened. I was slowing down
for a bend, the engine stopped, I tried to turn the wheel into the bend
and for one horrible moment I thought that the steering had seized
because the wheel just wouldn't turn with normal effort. Quite
frightening...

I had an R reg vectra 1.8 with the same problen. I have been rowed on a
rope (without any power assist) and was told that braking should be
mostly done by the towed car, thus keeping the rope taut

Malcolm